Entry Procedure & Visas
Entry Procedures:Indian nationals: India nationals do not require visa. However, effective from October 1, 2000, Indians traveling to Nepal by air have to show upon arrival at entry point either a passport, voter’s Identity card issued by the Election Commission of India, or and identity card with photograph issued by the central or State Government of India. Temporary identity cart with photograph issued by Nepal – based Indian diplomatic missions for identification of Indian nationals will also be considered in case of exceptions. Children under 10 years need not show any identification.
Visa InformationA visa is required to enter Nepal. One can get a visa at the Royal Nepalese Embassy or Consulate or at the airport upon arrival. Children under 10 years need not pay any visa fees. Two passport sized photos are mandatory for visa on arrival.
1. General Information
The Department of Immigration is located at Bhrikutimandap, Katmandu and has nice branch offices at different locations in the kingdom.
Tel: +977 – 1- 4223590 / 4222453 / 4223681
Fax: +977 – 1 – 4223127
Office Hours (Immigration Department) Monday to Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. in summer 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. in winter Other Branch OFFICES Located at entry points will be open 24 hours.
The following entry and exit points are prescribed for the purpose
of the foreigners entering into and departing from the kingdom of
Nepal. Deviation from these points at the time of entry or exit
shall be treated as the violation of Immigration rules.
2. Entry / Exit Points in Nepal
- Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu
- Kakarvitta, , Jhapa (Eastern Nepal )
- Birgunj, Parsa (Central Nepal)
- Kodari, Sindhupalchowk (Northern Border
- Belahia, Bhairahawa (Rupandehi,Western Nepal )
- Jamunaha, Nepalgunj (Banke, Mid Western Nepal)
- Mohana,Dhangadhi (Kailali, far western Nepal)
- Gadda Chuki, Mahendranagar (Kanchanpur, Far Western Nepal)
Foreigner who intends to visit Nepal must hold valid passport or any travel document equivalent to passport issued by the Govt. for visiting a foreign country prior to apply for visa.
- Entry: No foreigner is entitled to enter into and stay in the Kingdom of Nepal without valid visa. Tourist entry visa can be obtained for the following duration from Royal Nepalese Embassy or Consulate or other mission offices or immigration offices located on entry points in Nepal.
- Chinese citizen are requested to apply in Royal Nepalese Embassy or other Nepalese diplomatic missions as there is no provision of arrival visa for them.
C) Tourist Visa extensionA tourist visa can be extended upto 120 days from the Department of Immigration in Kathmandu and Pokhara Immigration in office on request. Then after an additional 30 days can be extended from Department of immigration on reasonable ground, which ensures one’s departure from the country within 150 days in one visa year.
- Tourist visa extension fee and additional late fee are as follows:-
Visa extension for each additional 30 days – US$30 in equivalent Nepalese currency.
The provision of single entry reentry and double entry has been revoked.
- Late fee for regularizing tourist visa US$ 2 in equivalent Nepalese currency per day for the first 30 days. US$ 3 in equivalent Nepalese currency per day for the next 31 to 90 days. US$ in equivalent Nepalese currency per day for mere than 90 days.
- Fee exemption of tourist visa. Children below 10 yrs.
Descendant’s upto the age of 16 years, holding foreign passports, of Nepalese parents or either of their parents is a Nepal based foreign mission, until the period of his departure to a foreign country.
Dos & Don’ts
A tourist may stay in Nepal upto 150 days in a visa year (Jan-Dec). A tourist must extend his/her visa before expire of the visa validity period. A tourist who does not comply with these regulations may be liable f fine and other prosecution as provided in Immigration Act and Rules. A foreigner having obtained tourist visa shall not be allowed to work with or without receiving remuneration.
A foreigner shall not be allowed to carry out any work other than that for which purpose she/ he has obtained the visa.
4. Transit visa
- A transit visa can be obtained from the Airport Immigration
officer for a period of 48 hours on the presentation of confirmed
b. Fee for transit visa is US$ 5.00
5. Other visa categories (Except tourist and transit visa)
- Diplomatic visa
1. Who may apply? Diplomatic passport holders and their family members recommended from the concerned foreign diplomatic mission and considered fit to be granted diplomatic privileges by His Majesty’s Government.
2. Issuing Authority: Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
For 30 days entry diplomatic mission and the Immigration Office at the ent6ry points in Nepal.
- Official Visa
i. Who may apply? : The official visa shall be granted to the persons considered fit by His Majesty’s Government and their family upon recommendation of the concerned diplomatic mission:
- Administrative, Technical and non-diplomatic officials serving in a residential or non-residential diplomatic missions, a Consulate for Nepal and incumbent Nepalese honorary Consul Generals, Consuls and their family who visit Nepal from a foreign country.
- Consultant experts who stay in Nepal under an agreement with his Majesty’s government,
- Employees serving in the Nepal based offices of the United Nations or its agencies and the laissez passes granted by the United Nations.
- Employees serving in the international institutions or regional
organizations located in Nepal.
ii. Issuing Authority: Ministry of Foreign Affairs. For 30 days entry diplomatic mission and the Immigration Office at the entry points in Nepal.
C .Study Visa
A foreigner who wants to study, teach or conduct research works in any educational institute having obtained the approval of His Majesty’ Govt.
i. who may apply? : Students, Research scholars, Teachers and their family Visa fee: Nepalese currency equivalent to 5U.S. $ per month.
Foreigners involved in the social and economic development works
approved by HMG of Nepal under the expenses to be borne by Governmental
institutions of the foreign friendly nations, visa fee: Nepalese
currency equivalent to 20 U.S. $ per month. Foreigners having obtained
recommendation from the ministry of foreign affairs to work in the
institutions run by the foreign mission located in Nepal.
Visa fee:Nepalese currency equivalent to 60 US$ per month for the first year and 100 US$ per month from the next year.
Foreigners having obtained recommendation from the concerned ministry to act as a helpers of the foreigners having obtained diplomatic or official visa.
Foreigners having obtained recommendation from the Ministry of Tourism Culture and Civil Aviation to work in any international airlines organization located in the kingdom of Nepal.
Foreigners having obtained recommendation of the concerned ministry to conduct feasibility study of an agreement or enterprise for a period not exceeding 6 months.
Group leader of the foreigners making application accompanied by
the recommendation of the Ministry of tourism and Civil Aviation,
for making the tourists tour in group in Nepal.
Such foreigners as may be thought fit by His Majesty’s Government.
4. Business visaBusiness visa (with multiple entry) can be obtained from the department of Immigration for the period of one year or five years upon the recommendation of the Ministry of Industry by paying the equivalent of US$ 100 and US$ 250 respectively in Nepalese currency for the foreign investors.
All baggage must be declared and cleared through the customs on
the port of entry. Personal effects are permitted free entry. The
duty on articles brought by visitors varies according to the volume
and value of the goods; such as tobacco and liquor, within the prescribed
quantity free of duty. Carrying narcotics, arms and ammunition are
strictly prohibited. Visitors can take along souvenirs to their
respective countries. The export of antiques requires special certificate
from the Department of Archaeology, National Archive Building, Ram
Shah path, Kathmandu (Tel:4215358). Gold, silver, precious stones,
wild animals and their skins, horns, wild flora and fauna etc. and
drugs of any nature, whether processed or in their natural state
are prohibited to be exported.
For latest price and information please contact our parent orgazation Nepal Trekking in Himalayas Pvt. Ltd.
About Nepal» Nepal Flag
» Nepal Visa
» Nepal Embassy
» Nepal Pictures
» Nepal Map
» Nepal Toursim
» Nepal Weather
» Nepal Festivals
» Nepal Religion
Non-Tourist Area Trekking
Trekking in Gorkha Region
Nepal Trekking Pass
Adventure Travel Company
Nayabazar , Kathmandu, Nepal
Tel: +977 01 4385008
Mobile: +977 9851096366, +977 9851096437
Tailor Made Holidays
We never force our clients to follow our set itinerary rather we always follow the idea suggested by our clients & arrange the trips accordingly.
Health Treatment in Nepal
Health Tourism is where a patient travels to another country for medical treatment in order to save costs, or get treatment faster or even to avail of better medical facilities.
Read More. »
Transports & Vehicle in Nepal
All Rights Reserved. Designed by: Nepal Business Directory